Sunday, December 19, 2010

Reflection 21st Century Skills

21st Century Skills
21st century skills are the technology or digital skills needed to survive in the 21st century. After reading the book I discovered this may be different for each individual according to your current age if you are a elementary student you are a “digital native” or “net gener” if you are my age you are a “digital immigrant” according to the book (p. 27). I discovered one thing as a “digital immigrant” I love technology and what it can do for my students. As far as students are concerned they are digital natives who need to learn the technology tools and resources in order to survive and thrive in the 21st century. According to the book (p. 142) technology provides great benefits for students especially when it is integrated seamlessly with rich learning content. I can reflect on this concept in my own classroom where I integrate technology in my reading and math blocks daily (and currently I am experimenting in science daily). Do I feel that the students benefit? Yes!
Another important concept of 21st learning skills is the concept of lifelong learning. I think that this quote expresses the need for this “Since we live in an age of innovation, a practical education must prepare a person for work that does not yet exist and cannot yet be clearly defined.” – Peter Drucker (p.151). Because of the constant changing technology and the new technology tools available as a teacher I must prepare my students to be cooperative, problem solving, and strong in leadership skills. I want them to be able to develop the skills to be dependent, independent, and interdependent individuals. They must also be able to be global citizens. I feel the first steps toward this are to embrace opportunities in the classroom to collaborate on projects with students around the globe. I feel these are the keys to the students in becoming members of a 21st century learning community.

No comments:

Post a Comment